I was trying to change my profile picture on TikTok last night and realized that it was not updating properly. This got me wondering what was causing this and how I could fix it. Luckily, I was able to find many solutions to my problems to share with you.
If you can’t change your profile picture on TikTok, try restarting the application. Also, make sure that your network connection is working properly and that the TikTok servers are currently live. Finally, update your application and clear your TikTok cache. If nothing works, contact TikTok support for further assistance.
The next section of this guide will detail the different reasons you can’t change your profile picture on TikTok.
- 1 Why Can’t You Change Your PFP On TikTok?
- 2 How To Fix TikTok Profile Picture Not Changing Or Showing?
- 3 How To Change Profile Picture On TikTok
- 4 Conclusion
Why Can’t You Change Your PFP On TikTok?
The most common cause of issues changing a profile picture on TikTok is server issues, glitches, and software problems. If the TikTok servers are experiencing errors, then your profile picture will have trouble updating after changing it.
Glitches could also cause your profile picture to not update after attempting to change it. Glitches are temporary software errors that typically resolve themselves. There are some circumstances where you will need to take care of the glitch yourself.
Software issues are another common cause of issues changing a profile picture. If your application software is out-of-date, you will likely experience issues changing your profile picture. The next section of this guide will detail the different ways that you can resolve these issues.
How To Fix TikTok Profile Picture Not Changing Or Showing?
1. Restart The TikTok App
Restarting the TikTok application can help resolve glitches that could be causing your profile picture issues.
Data leftover from running the TikTok application can cause glitches. The easiest way to resolve this is to restart the application. This will clear up any leftover data that could be causing the application issues.
For iPhone users, follow the steps below to restart your TikTok application:
1. While the TikTok application is open on your phone, use your finger to swipe up on the bottom of your screen.
2. This will bring up all of the open applications on your phone. In the list of open applications, flick the TikTok application up and off the screen.
3. Once you have done this, the TikTok application will have been completely closed.
4. Restart the TikTok application to see if your issue has been resolved.
1. Open the Settings menu.
2. Enter the Apps menu.
3. Tap the TikTok application.
4. Tap Force Stop.
5. Tap Force Stop again to confirm.
6. Restart the application.
The next fix on this list could help if this did not resolve your issue.
2. Check Internet Connection
If your internet connection is having issues, you could experience issues with the TikTok application. TikTok depends on a strong and stable internet connection to work properly. If your internet is experiencing outages or is slow due to heavy traffic, this could cause problems updating your profile picture.
You should check your internet speed and connection status for any issues. If you determine that you are having internet connection issues, consider resetting your router to resolve them.
To restart your data connection, locate the button on your router that resets the connection. This button is typically located on the top or front side of the router. Press this button and wait for the connection to reestablish.
If this did not resolve your issue, consider rebooting your router. To reboot your router, simply unplug it for at least sixty seconds.
This will give your router time to completely power off and stop any latent functions occurring inside the device. Once you have powered your router back on, it will automatically begin the process of reestablishing a connection to your devices.
If this did not help resolve your problem, you should consider clearing the cache of any leftover data. This method will be detailed in the section below.
3. Clear App Cache
Clearing your app cache, or junk data will clear your device of any corrupted files associated with TikTok. How you clear your TikTok cache will depend on the type of device that you are currently using to access the application.
The section below will walk you through the process for popular mobile devices and web browsers that are most commonly used to access TikTok.
For Google Chrome:
1. First, you will need to click the three dots at the top right corner of your screen. This will bring up a menu where you can find the More Tools tab.
2. In the More Tools tab, you will find the option to Clear Browsing Data. Click this option and choose the All-Time option.
3. Finally check the Cached Images & Files box and click Clear Data. This will successfully clear your YouTube cache in Google Chrome.
1. You will first need to open the Firefox menu at the top of the screen.
2. Navigate to the History tab and you will find the option to Clear Recent History.
3. Click on Clear Recent History, approve the clearing of Everything, and check the Cache box.
4. Once this has been done click Clear Now and you will have successfully deleted your TikTok cache on Firefox.
1. You will need to open your device’s Settings menu and then open the Apps menu.
2. In the Apps menu, you will see the TikTok application.
3. Tap into the TikTok application menu and select Storage.
4. In the Storage menu, you will find the option to clear all of your cache data related to the TikTok application.
1. Simply delete the TikTok application from your device and reinstall it to successfully clear the cache.
After you have successfully cleared your TikTok cache, the location issues that you are experiencing have a good chance of being automatically resolved.
Keep in mind that these files will immediately begin to be replaced by new cache files. You should consider clearing your cache periodically as it begins to grow larger in size. If this did not help resolve your issue, you should check your internet connection.
4. Temporarily Use A VPN
A VPN can help bypass any region restrictions or network issues that you could be experiencing. A VPN masks your location and identity while using the internet. They can be beneficial for accessing the TikTok servers from different IP addresses and locations.
Sometimes this will resolve bugs and glitches caused by network issues that you could be experiencing. You will need to find a VPN and download it on your PC or mobile device. Once you have downloaded and installed a VPN, turn it on before using the TikTok application.
This will mask your identity while using the application. This will also allow you to bypass any region restrictions keeping you from using TikTok properly. One of the best VPNs currently on the market is ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN is a paid service that offers secure and private internet use.
If using a VPN did not solve your issue, you should consider a third-party application to help fix your problem. This will be covered in more detail below.
5. Try Another Profile Picture
If you are having trouble uploading a profile picture, it could be due to restrictions placed by TikTok. You should ensure that the picture you are trying to upload adheres to the Community Guidelines set in place.
If you are unsure of this, try uploading a different profile picture and see if that works. If it does, it is likely that the previous picture was flagged as inappropriate and blocked. You should also ensure that the picture you are uploading is 20×20 minimum.
If this did not resolve your issue, you should check your application software. This will be detailed more in the section below.
6. Check For Updates
Keeping your applications up to date is vital for an optimal experience. If you let your application fall behind on updates, you run the risk of encountering errors and bugs with your TikTok application functions more frequently. This could cause issues in changing your profile picture.
To update the application, follow the steps listed below.
1. First, you will need to navigate to the app store on your phone and search for the TikTok application.
2. On the TikTok application page in your phone’s app store, you will be able to view any potential update files that are available.
3. You will then need to manually download and install the update file for it to be applied to your phone.
4. Once this has been done, you should close and reopen the application and you should have the most current version of the TikTok application.
Most phones can be set up to automatically download and install updates so that you do not have to search for them manually. You will need to check your phone’s update settings to enable these settings on your device.
If there is no update available, you should consider uninstalling and reinstalling the application. This will clear all the files associated with the app and replace them with new ones. Once you have done this, open the app and see if your issue is resolved.
7. Check The TikTok Server Status
If the TikTok servers are down, your profile picture will not be updated even if you have recently changed it. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but wait if the TikTok servers are offline. Typically, servers only go down during routine maintenance.
That being said, server issues could occur that will affect your ability to change your profile picture. You can check the TikTok server status on their social media pages and website. There you will find more details regarding any ongoing server issues.
If none of the above troubleshooting methods have worked, you should consider reporting your issue to TikTok support for further assistance.
8. Report Profile Picture Issue To TikTok Support
You should consider reporting your profile picture issues to TikTok support. You should only consider this once you have attempted all of the troubleshooting methods listed here, as TikTok support will likely suggest many of the methods on this list.
You can contact TikTok support to report your issue on their website or through the app. There you will find detailed instructions on how to report your issue. First, you will need to provide a detailed account of your problem which will then be investigated by someone at TikTok Technical Support.
TikTok Support will walk you through any potential troubleshooting methods that you might have missed and offer detailed suggestions on how to successfully solve your issue.
This method requires some patience, as dealing with customer service on the phone can be frustrating. Rest assured that TikTok Support will do all it can to get your application functioning properly.
How To Change Profile Picture On TikTok
The process to change your profile picture on TikTok is simple and will only take a minute or two. This process has been detailed below:
1. Open the TikTok application and tap Profile in the bottom right of the screen.
2. Once on your profile page, tap Edit Profile.
3. In the Edit Profile menu, select Change Photo.
4. Select the photo or video you wish to upload and click Save.
If you are having trouble changing your profile picture on TikTok, it is likely due to a server issue or software glitch you are experiencing. You can resolve these issues by restarting your application and checking your internet connection.
Keeping your application updated can also help you avoid these types of issues in the future. It can be frustrating to have your profile picture not updated properly. If you still can’t resolve your issue, consider contacting TikTok support for further assistance.